A little history…
Built in 1537, then as a dwelling place connected to the ancient monastery of West Malling, the King and Queen as it is now known was given up to the crown in 1539 with the final dissolution of the monasteries under the tyranny of Henry VIII. The ownership of the building changed a number of times between Kings and Queens, back to the church on occasion, various Lords and Ladies, and also tenant farmers.
1672 was the first time this ‘house’, then known as the “Three Cups”, became licensed, and it was decreed by justices sitting in sessions at the Swan Inn West Malling, that the then owner Jon Wagon may keep and issue ale. It passed through various family members and in 1704 was re-named the “King and Queen’s Head”, possibly in honour of William III and Mary II who ruled together from 1668 until her death in 1694. It was handed to another family in 1802 and shortly after sold as the “King and Queen” to the ‘Brenchley, Stacey and Wise’ Brewing Company of Maidstone. There were twelve different Landlords/ladies from this time until 1929 when the current brewery sold out to the Fremlin Brothers brewery at Earl Street Maidstone. Eight different Landlords/ladies have kept the pub since then.
Michael (Head Chef) and Chris (Front of House Manager), who have both been delighting their guests for 14 years, together with the rest of their experienced and friendly team, look forward to extending you a very warm welcome.